Frequently Asked Questions

Do My Spouse & I Need Separate Divorce Attorneys, Or Can You Represent Us Both?

It is unethical for an attorney to represent both parties in a divorce, even if it is an amicable one. You and your spouse will each need to retain a lawyer of your choosing.

Do We Have To Separate Before We Divorce?

In order to obtain a no-fault divorce in South Carolina, you must be separated for at least a year before your divorce can be finalized. You do not necessarily have to legally separate, but you must be able to clearly demonstrate that you and your spouse have been living in separate residences for one full, uninterrupted year.

If I Don’t Win Custody Of My Children, Can I Still See Them?

Most likely. Barring any incidences of violence or other unacceptable parental behavior, most judges will grant visitation privileges to the noncustodial parent.

What Is The Difference Between Legal Adoption & Child Custody?

Custody establishes a legal relationship between an adult and a child in which the adult may make important decisions regarding the child without severing the legal parental rights of the child’s existing parents. Conversely, when an adult adopts a child, the parental rights of the previous parents or guardians of the child are vacated.

If I’ve Been Injured Due To Someone Else’s Mistake, How Can I Get Them To Pay For My Medical Expenses?

You can file a personal injury case. This can be a complex process, but we are here to help. We can help you sue for damages and interface with the involved insurance agents on your behalf.

What Is The Difference Between A Premises Liability Claim And A Slip & Fall Claim?

A slip and fall claim is a specific form of premises liability, indicating that the injury occurred as a result of a slippery or otherwise dangerous environment. Premises liability covers more injuries that result from unsafe property conditions.

My Spouse Was Recently Killed Due To An Accident. How Will I Support My Family Going Forth?

One way to ensure your family will be financially cared for after the untimely death of your spouse is to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of your spouse. You may be able to sue for pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.

I Was Recently Arrested For A DUI, But Since It’s My First One, Do I Really Need A Criminal Defense Lawyer?

You can take your chances representing yourself, but we do not recommend it. The law does not look kindly on drunk driving, even if this is your first criminal offense. For the best chances of preserving your license and avoiding jail time and huge fines, you should absolutely retain an experienced criminal defense attorney in the wake of a DUI charge.

What Is The Difference Between A Misdemeanor And A Felony?

Simply put, misdemeanors carry less severe punishments than felonies do. Typically, the maximum penalty for a misdemeanor results in up to a year in jail, whereas the most serious felony convictions can result in life in prison.

I Can’t Meet During Normal Business Hours. Can We Schedule A Consultation In The Evening Or On A Weekend?

Yes. As long as you call far enough in advance, we can schedule an after-hours or weekend appointment.

We're Here to Help

Ronald S. Clement Attorney At Law possesses over 45 years of combined legal experience in family law, personal injury, and criminal defense. If you need trustworthy representation in the Upstate area, please contact our Greenville office today at (864) 233-6225.